3-Year-Old Stabbed to Death in Supermarket Parking Lot

- Advertisement -

A routine shopping trip turned into a nightmare for the Wood family on June 3, 2024, in North Olmsted, Ohio, when a random act of violence claimed the life of three-year-old Julian Wood in the parking lot of a Giant Eagle supermarket. The incident, which occurred around 3 p.m., also left Julian’s mother, Margot Wood, 38, injured but expected to recover.

Bionca Ellis, 32, has been charged with aggravated murder following the attack. North Olmsted Police Detective Sgt. Matt Beck reported that the suspect, dressed in black and armed with a kitchen knife that she had just bought in a nearby store, approached the Woods as they were returning to their vehicle after shopping. Ellis allegedly followed the family and attacked them near their car. Julian was fatally wounded, sustaining injuries to his back and cheek, while Margot Wood was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

North Olmsted Mayor Nicole Dailey Jones addressed the community’s grief, stating, “Losing their youngest child in such a violent and senseless way is incredibly devastating. This is a profound tragedy affecting our entire community.” A Giant Eagle spokesperson echoed The mayor’s sentiments and expressed the company’s condolences and commitment to supporting the affected families and the broader community.

The police were alerted to the scene by multiple 911 calls from horrified shoppers who witnessed the attack. Responding officers arrived swiftly, providing first aid to the victims and apprehending Ellis without further incident. Detective Sgt. Beck noted that Ellis was still carrying the knife used in the attack when she was taken into custody. “The investigation into the motive of this attack is still ongoing, but everything learned thus far points to this being a random act of violence,” Beck said.

Julian was transported to St. John Medical Center in Westlake, where he was pronounced dead. His mother’s injuries were treated, and she is expected to make a full recovery. The police have confirmed that there was no prior interaction between Ellis and the victims, and Ellis’s criminal history includes only prior theft offenses and a probation violation but no known violent incidents.

Ellis was apprehended at the scene and is currently detained on a $1 million bond. She is slated for a preliminary hearing in Rocky River Municipal Court on June 10 and is expected to appear via video conference. Further charges are anticipated once the case is presented to the Cuyahoga County Grand Jury.

This event follows another violent incident at the same Giant Eagle store less than a year ago, highlighting ongoing concerns about public safety in the area. In that prior incident, a murder-suicide involving a 63-year-old employee and her ex-husband, who she had divorced years earlier, further shocked the community.

A spokesperson for Giant Eagle assured that the company is providing counseling services to its employees and is ready to support the North Olmsted community in any way possible. Despite the recent tragedies, the store remains open and continues to serve as a vital resource for residents.

The community has responded with deep sorrow and strong support. “As a mother, I cannot even begin to fathom the sense of loss that this family is going through,” Mayor Dailey Jones shared during a press conference. “The city and I all share in your loss.”

The Wood family’s ordeal has touched many hearts, prompting a wave of support from friends, neighbors, and strangers. A GoFundMe page set up to help cover medical and funeral expenses has already raised over $100,000, showcasing the community’s solidarity in the face of such loss.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

━ latest articles

━ explore more

━ more articles like this