Teen’s 100 mph Crash Leaves Two Dead

A 19-year-old Nevada driver faces murder charges after allegedly causing a 12-car crash while traveling at what witnesses said was about 100 mph in a 45 mph zone, killing his pregnant girlfriend and another motorist in what prosecutors say was an intentional act.

Jose Gutierrez was driving a silver 2011 Infiniti G37 on Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2025, when he slammed into vehicles stopped at a red light at the intersection of Cheyenne Avenue and North Jones Boulevard in Las Vegas. The crash killed his passenger, 20-year-old Adilene Duran Rincon, who was pregnant at the time, and 38-year-old Edward Garcia, who was driving another vehicle.

Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson told reporters that evidence, including video footage, showed Gutierrez’s actions were deliberate. “We believe based on all of the evidence to date — including a very descriptive video — that his actions were intentional, which gives rise to a charge of murder,” Wolfson said.

The district attorney emphasized that the evidence showed no attempts to brake before the collision. Both Rincon and Garcia died at the scene. A third victim was transported to a hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to police reports.

Despite police finding a marijuana vape on Gutierrez after the crash and noting bloodshot eyes during his arrest, authorities confirmed he was not impaired by drugs or alcohol at the time of the collision. This finding proved crucial in prosecutors’ decision to upgrade charges from reckless driving resulting in death or substantial bodily harm to more serious offenses.

Gutierrez now faces multiple felony charges, including murder, attempted murder, and battery with use of a deadly weapon. The vehicle he was driving was registered to Rincon’s mother, officials noted.

Court records reveal a troubling pattern of driving violations and legal issues for Gutierrez. In September, he crashed into an elderly woman when he ran a stop sign. The following month, he received a speeding ticket after police caught him traveling 52 mph in a 35 mph zone.

His criminal history extends beyond traffic violations. In April, police arrested Gutierrez after he allegedly threatened a police officer who had responded to a call from a woman claiming a man had hit her. According to court documents, when the officer arrived, Gutierrez allegedly told the cop he would shoot and kill him.

The massive collision involved 12 vehicles total and occurred in northern Las Vegas. The force of the impact destroyed multiple cars at the intersection, with debris scattered across the roadway. Emergency responders worked to extricate victims from the wreckage and transport the injured to nearby medical facilities.

One of the survivors, 25-year-old Vanessa Lainez, suffered severe injuries, including a traumatic brain injury, according to reports. Lainez, a team member at Shang Artisan Noodle restaurant, remains hospitalized and faces a lengthy recovery. Her coworkers described her as kind and hardworking, noting she had been married just nine months before the crash.

During a court appearance, Gutierrez’s defense attorney argued the collision resulted from a medical episode. The attorney told the judge that Gutierrez had no recollection of the accident, getting into the car, or picking up his fiancée. The defense claimed he suffered a concussion and had been experiencing seizures, advising detectives he could not remember the events leading up to the crash.

However, prosecutors maintain that video evidence clearly shows the intentional nature of Gutierrez’s actions. The video footage, which authorities described as “very descriptive,” reportedly demonstrates the lack of any braking before the collision occurred. This evidence formed the basis for the upgraded murder charges.

Following arguments from both the prosecution and defense, the judge ordered Gutierrez held without bail on the 10 felony charges he faces. The charges include two counts of open murder with a deadly weapon, four counts of reckless driving causing substantial harm, two counts of attempted murder with a deadly weapon, and two counts of battery with a deadly weapon.

Gutierrez is scheduled to appear in court for his arraignment hearing on Monday, Jan. 6, 2026.

━ latest articles

━ explore more

━ more articles like this