A five-year-old boy from Stamford, Lincolnshire, England, died after drinking cow’s milk at his primary school when staff failed to follow safety protocols designed to protect him from a severe allergy.
Benedict Blythe collapsed at Barnack Primary School on December 1, 2021, after being accidentally exposed to cow’s milk protein. The kindergarten pupil vomited twice before going into cardiac arrest. Despite staff administering his adrenaline pen and performing CPR, he died at Peterborough City Hospital, less than three hours after his symptoms began. The boy, who had joined the high-IQ society Mensa at age four, suffered from asthma and had severe allergies to milk, eggs, nuts, kiwi, chickpeas, and sesame.
His parents, Helen and Pete Blythe, had worked with the school to create a detailed allergy action plan. Each week, they provided the school with a one-liter carton of oat milk labeled with Benedict’s name. The plan required staff to store the milk in the staff fridge, pour it into Benedict’s personal cup in the classroom, and hand it to him directly. An inquest jury found this procedure was not followed on the day of his death.
The day before the incident, on November 30, Benedict was sick and stayed home from school. He returned the next morning after appearing healthy. That morning, he ate breakfast at home with oat milk at 7:30 a.m. and consumed dairy-free chocolate from his Advent calendar before leaving for school. During morning break at school, he ate a gingerbread biscuit and was offered his oat milk.
The eight-day inquest at Peterborough Town Hall heard that instead of following the established protocol, Benedict’s milk was poured in the staff room and carried into the classroom. Benedict reportedly decided not to drink his milk and poured it away, though staff could not confirm whether he had sipped any before discarding it. The jury concluded that the wrong milk was most likely given to Benedict, and he had drunk some from his own cup. Shortly after, Benedict vomited during morning break. A teaching assistant read him a book, but he vomited again. His teacher took him outside for fresh air, where he suddenly collapsed.
The jury’s verdict, delivered on July 9, 2025, identified several factors that probably caused Benedict’s death. These included delayed use of his adrenaline pens, a risk of milk mix-up due to poor control measures, failure to share Benedict’s allergy plan with teaching staff, and a missed opportunity to review lessons from a previous incident. In October 2021, Benedict had suffered an allergic reaction after being served pizza at school that made him sick. The jury noted symptoms Benedict showed before collapsing included vomiting, redness around his lips, and coughing. His adrenaline pens were administered after he fell unconscious, but the jury concluded this was too late because his circulation had already stopped, and he was in cardiac arrest.
Area Coroner Elizabeth Gray criticized the police investigation for failing to retain Benedict’s vomit or preserve evidence at the scene. The initial investigation focused on the gingerbread biscuit Benedict had eaten, but evidence later proved the biscuit could not have caused the reaction. The lack of preserved samples prevented testing, which could have helped identify the cause of his reaction at an earlier stage.
Speaking outside Peterborough Town Hall after the inquest conclusion, Helen Blythe said, “Benedict’s death was preventable and was caused by a cascade of failures,individual, institutional, and systemic.” She described how Benedict had been exceptionally bright and was thriving during the three months he spent at Barnack Primary before his death. In an emotional statement read to the jury, she said Benedict’s love of playing with numbers was one reason he joined Mensa when he was four.
Benedict’s family expressed disappointment with the coroner’s report, stating it was a missed opportunity. In their statement, they said the report overlooked the failures that happened before and during the incident. The family emphasized that the jury found serious issues, including staff not being told about Benedict’s allergic symptoms, safety processes not being followed, too many people involved in preparing his care, and vital medication given far too late to save his life.
Following Benedict’s death, his parents established the Benedict Blythe Foundation and launched a campaign for mandatory allergy safeguards in schools. On July 9, 2025, the same day the inquest concluded, Labour MP Chris Bloore presented the School Allergy Safety Bill, known as Benedict’s Law, to Parliament. The proposed legislation would require every school to maintain an allergy policy, hold a supply of adrenaline pens for treating allergic reactions, and provide allergy training for staff. The campaign received widespread support, with over 13,000 people signing a petition calling for these protections in just two weeks.
The Benedict Blythe Foundation has worked with The Allergy Team and the Independent Schools’ Bursars Association to develop the Schools’ Allergy Code for managing allergies in schools. According to foundation research, nearly half of school staff reported not having been trained to recognize and treat an allergic reaction in the last 12 months. There are currently around 680,000 pupils with allergies in English schools, with each average-sized class of 25 having one to two students with an allergy.
A Department for Education spokesperson stated the department was represented at the inquest and would consider the jury’s conclusions carefully.
