Two 14-year-old best friends died after a sand tunnel they had been digging for weeks collapsed on them at Sportsman Park in Inverness, Florida, Sunday, leaving their community in shock and mourning.
George Watts and Derrick Hubbard were trapped underground when the tunnel, dug in sugar sand approximately five feet deep, suddenly caved in on January 11, 2026. Emergency responders received a call at 12:44 p.m. reporting that two children were lost in the park and believed to be trapped inside a large hole.
When the boys failed to answer their cellphones at lunchtime, their parents grew concerned and went searching for them. They discovered the boys’ bikes and shoes near the sandpit but could not find the teenagers. Fearing the worst, the parents called authorities and began digging. One parent pinged their child’s cellphone to pinpoint their location underground.
Deputies, firefighters and emergency medical services personnel rushed to the park in Citrus County, located approximately 70 miles west of Orlando. Rescuers worked for about 30 minutes to extract both boys from the collapsed sand tunnel. They pulled the teenagers from the sand around 1:15 p.m. and immediately began performing CPR on both.
Both boys were transported by ambulance to HCA Florida Citrus Hospital in Inverness. Derrick Hubbard was pronounced dead Sunday. George Watts was in critical condition and was later transported to UF Health Shands Gainesville for continued treatment. He was pronounced dead Tuesday afternoon.
On Wednesday morning, the Watts family made the difficult decision to donate George’s organs. “In a tragic accident, we lost our oldest son, George Watts, and his best friend, Derrick Hubbard,” wrote Jasmine Watts, George’s mother, on a GoFundMe page established to help cover funeral expenses for both families. “These two boys shared a bond that went beyond friendship — they were inseparable, full of life, curiosity, and dreams for the future.”
According to neighbor Zachariah Roberson, the boys had been digging the tunnel for two weeks. “They were just being kids,” he said, according to FOX 13 Tampa Bay. “They were just playing in sand. We always encourage our kids to get off the tablets, the electronics, to go play outside, and that’s exactly what they were doing.”
The boys were students at Inverness Middle School, where both were well-known and beloved by classmates and teachers. The school responded by providing counseling support to students struggling with the loss. Crisis teams consisting of counselors, social workers and school psychologists were made available throughout the week to help the school community navigate the tragedy.
“This situation has deeply affected many within our school and district community,” the school said in a statement, adding that support staff would remain on campus as needed to assist students and families during this difficult time.
The community has rallied around both grieving families. A wooden cross memorial was erected at the site where the tunnel collapsed. Community members have left flowers and handwritten notes in remembrance of the two boys. The memorial has grown steadily as residents come to pay their respects and reflect on the tragedy.
Corey Edwards, who served as the boys’ coach and mentor in the 352 Legends program, remembered them as leaders and protectors. The two best friends had recently won an NFL Flag Football championship together. Edwards described them as old souls who embodied values increasingly rare among today’s youth.
The Citrus County Sheriff’s Office expressed condolences to both families in a statement. “Our hearts are with both families as they grieve the tremendous loss of their sons,” the office said. “We hope the community will continue to respect their privacy and unite in remembering and celebrating both boys.”
Sugar sand, the material the boys were digging in, is common throughout Florida. It is a remnant of ancient geological periods when sea levels were much higher and extended far inland from current coastlines. The fine, loose consistency of sugar sand makes it particularly unstable and prone to collapse when excavated, especially at depths beyond a few feet.
Sand collapses represent a significant but often underestimated danger. The weight of sand is deceptive—a cubic foot of dry sand weighs approximately 100 pounds, meaning even a relatively small collapse can trap victims under hundreds or thousands of pounds of material. Unlike water or loose soil, dry sand does not compress easily, making it extremely difficult for buried individuals to create breathing space or move their limbs.
Medical experts note that sand burial victims face multiple life-threatening challenges simultaneously. The weight of sand compresses the chest, making breathing difficult or impossible. Sand can enter the nose, mouth and airways, causing suffocation. The pressure on the body can also restrict blood flow, leading to circulatory collapse. Even if victims initially survive burial, the time required for rescue often exceeds the minutes available before fatal oxygen deprivation occurs.
Beach safety advocates have long warned about the dangers of deep sand excavations, particularly holes and tunnels. Safety experts consistently recommend that holes dug in sand never exceed knee or waist height of the person digging. Beyond this depth, the risk of collapse increases dramatically. Experts also urge beachgoers and park visitors to fill in any holes before leaving, as abandoned excavations pose hazards to other people who might accidentally fall into them or trigger delayed collapses.
The tragedy in Inverness follows a pattern of similar incidents across Florida and other coastal states. Sand tunnel and hole collapses have claimed multiple young lives in recent years, prompting renewed calls for public education about excavation dangers. Despite these warnings, the appeal of digging in sand remains strong among children and teenagers, who often underestimate the risks involved in creating deep structures.
In her GoFundMe statement, Jasmine Watts wrote that the boys were digging a tunnel in sugar sand when it suddenly collapsed. “In an instant, our world was shattered,” she said. “What should have been another day of childhood adventure turned into a heartbreaking loss that no parent should ever have to endure. Our precious boys were taken from us far too soon.”
The GoFundMe campaign was established to help both families cope with unexpected expenses related to emergency response, medical care, funeral arrangements and other financial burdens that come with sudden tragedy. The community response has been significant, with neighbors, classmates, teachers and even strangers contributing to support the grieving families.
On Wednesday morning, dozens of community members gathered at UF Health Shands Gainesville to support the Watts family as they prepared for George’s organ donation. Video recorded by neighbor Zachariah Roberson showed people standing together in prayer, demonstrating the tight bonds within the Citrus County community.
Roberson, who knew both families well, found some comfort in the organ donation decision. “Just knowing that they’re going to save other kids with their donations, and that they will live on somehow, that’s a blessing,” he said.
The loss has resonated throughout Inverness and surrounding areas, where many residents knew the boys or their families personally. The tragedy serves as a stark reminder of how quickly childhood play can turn deadly, even in seemingly safe environments like neighborhood parks.
