Rescue efforts have concluded at Indonesia’s Bantargebang Integrated Waste Treatment Facility after a large garbage landslide killed seven people on Sunday, March 8, 2026, marking a somber end to a two-day recovery mission at the nation’s biggest landfill.
The fatal slide occurred Sunday morning at the extensive dump in Bekasi, near Jakarta, when heavy overnight rain caused a massive shift of rubbish and debris. The avalanche overwhelmed workers who were on duty or resting nearby, burying them as tons of waste tumbled down and consumed multiple garbage trucks and small food stalls.
Desiana Kartika Bahari, head of Jakarta’s Search and Rescue Office, said the search wrapped up Tuesday after the final one of seven victims was located in the landfill. Those killed were truck drivers and food stall operators working at the site. Six people survived the event.
“We received information from police that two among those missing were safe and had returned to their homes,” Bahari told reporters Tuesday, March 10.
Over 200 rescuers worked continuously, using excavators and thermal drones to find victims during the intensive search. Photos and videos shared by the National Search and Rescue Agency showed teams sifting through huge trash piles while heavy equipment methodically dug through the mountains of waste in hopes of finding survivors.
The Bantargebang site, opened in 1989, is Indonesia’s largest waste disposal area. Spanning 110 hectares, the landfill takes in between 6,500 and 7,000 tons of garbage each day from Greater Jakarta and has amassed roughly 55 million tonnes of trash over the years. The facility has long been central to government efforts at environmental reform as authorities struggle to cope with the enormous volume of waste generated by the metropolitan area’s 32 million residents.
This was not the first fatal event at the location. Earlier landslides have resulted in deaths, including a 2006 collapse that claimed three scavengers. In January 2026, another slide at the site pulled three garbage trucks into a riverbed, foreshadowing Sunday’s larger disaster.
Thousands of people from nearby communities work informally as waste pickers at Bantargebang, searching refuse for recyclables to sell and earn a small income. About 3,000 waste workers are present at the site daily, contributing nearly 10 percent of the facility’s non-organic recycling. Sunday’s catastrophe highlighted the hazardous conditions these laborers face.
The facility has received repeated alerts about exceeding capacity and has been described as “overwhelmed” by the amount of garbage it takes in. In late 2025, authorities announced a two-year plan to clear Bantargebang via an accelerated waste-to-energy project intended to lessen dependence on open dumping.
The deadly collapse has renewed attention on Bantargebang and similar sites across Indonesia. Environment Minister Hanif Faisol Nurofiq visited the area Sunday evening and placed responsibility squarely with local officials.
“Bantargebang belongs to the Jakarta administration, so they have to take responsibility,” Hanif told broadcaster Kompas TV. “This incident must truly serve as a bitter lesson for us so that Jakarta can promptly make improvements.”
His remarks reflect increasing pressure on Indonesian leaders to fix long-standing waste management issues affecting urban centers. President Prabowo Subianto warned last month that many of the country’s landfills, which are being phased out over time, will reach capacity by 2028.
Environmental group Walhi said Sunday’s disaster was at least the fifth trash avalanche in Greater Jakarta in the past six months, highlighting critical capacity problems at disposal sites. The group urged officials to reduce waste generation and enforce extended producer responsibility rules.
The incident underscores the precarious conditions faced by thousands of waste workers across Southeast Asia, where informal waste picking is a mainstay for many families living in poverty. These workers often navigate unstable piles of trash without protective gear or adequate training.
Heavy rain has become an increasing hazard for landfills in the region, where poor drainage and inadequate planning create risks of structural failure. The overnight storms that caused Sunday’s avalanche saturated the huge waste mounds, weakening them until they collapsed.
Indonesia has grappled with waste management issues for many years, as rapid urban growth has outstripped infrastructure development. Jakarta alone produces thousands of tons of waste each day, much of which ends up at sites like Bantargebang, originally built on former rice paddies chosen for cheap land rather than long-term suitability.
The incident bears grim resemblance to other recent landfill tragedies in Asia. In January, a garbage slide at Cebu City’s Binaliw landfill in the Philippines killed 36 people—mostly sanitation workers—and was one of that city’s deadliest industrial disasters.
Indonesian authorities are under increasing pressure to overhaul waste management practices, moving away from piling refuse into ever-larger mounds toward sustainable solutions that safeguard workers and the environment. The government has outlined plans to build 10 waste-to-energy incinerators nationwide as part of a goal to get 33 plants operational by 2029 — but it remains unclear whether those measures will come soon enough to avert future tragedies.
