President Donald Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against the BBC hit a snag Tuesday that could turn the entire case against him, after a federal judge in Florida ruled that he must hand over detailed financial records tied to his sprawling business empire. The order came during the first hearing in the defamation suit, held in Miami, and it may open a door the president would very much prefer to keep shut.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Enjoliqué Lett granted a motion by the BBC’s attorneys demanding access to financial documentation from the Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust, which manages Trump’s commercial holdings during his presidency. The decision could allow one of the world’s largest media organizations to obtain new, previously nonpublic details about the Trump Organization and the president’s associated ventures, including his cryptocurrency holdings.
Trump filed the suit in late 2025, arguing that BBC journalists deceptively spliced together portions of a speech he gave to protesters on January 6, 2021, in a way that made it appear he encouraged them to storm the U.S. Capitol. According to the president, the 2024 “Panorama” documentary harmed the standing of his commercial enterprises.
A Lawsuit That May Backfire
Here’s the twist that has legal watchers paying close attention: by putting his companies’ reputations at the heart of the case, Trump has arguably made their finances fair game. Judge Lett noted that Trump’s brand and properties were at issue and that reputational and economic damages were now central to the litigation.
If the ruling stands, it would clear the way for discovery motions targeting financial data from approximately 400 entities and commercial holdings overseen by the Trump family trust. Trump’s legal team is widely expected to appeal, and Tuesday’s ruling in Miami can still be challenged. Even so, the decision amounts to a partial win for the BBC in its effort to force the president to actually back up his claim of financial loss.
The defamation case is currently centered on discovery, the pretrial phase in which both sides exchange internal records and other material that might become evidence. And on that front, the two camps painted very different pictures of who’s been cooperating.
87,000 Pages Versus 735
The broadcaster’s lawyers told the court the BBC had turned over 87,000 pages of documents. Trump’s side, they said, had produced what they called a “sham production” totaling only 735 pages, mostly consisting of news clippings and material downloaded from the internet. BBC counsel Charles Tobin characterized the discovery process as "entirely one-sided."
Trump’s attorney, Alejandro Brito, pushed back hard, describing the BBC’s document requests as “oppressive” and “sweeping.” He challenged the broadcaster’s requests for documentation of presidential discussions with advisors concerning the Capitol incident and criticized subpoenas directed at government entities and former administration members. Brito contended the BBC was conducting a “fishing expedition” designed to “harass” those former officials.
Much of the argument from Trump’s lawyers focused on a letter that BBC Chairman Samir Shah sent to the president in November 2025. Shah’s message contained an apology for the “Panorama” clip, saying it had unintentionally given the “mistaken impression that President Trump made a direct call for violent action.” Brito seized on that, framing the letter as a “concession” and an “admission” by the corporation. The judge, for her part, gave a split decision on the BBC’s separate request for documents relating to the Capitol riot itself.
Echoes of the Fox News Case
For anyone with a long memory, the situation carries clear echoes of the lawsuit that voting machine company Dominion Voting Systems filed against Fox News after the 2020 presidential election. That case’s discovery process wound up doing real reputational harm to Fox after it surfaced evidence that network personalities were privately elevating narratives they knew to be untrue. In other words, opening the discovery floodgates can cut in unexpected directions.
The financial health of Trump’s companies is of enormous interest to media organizations, particularly as journalists work to understand the full scope of the profits the Trump family is generating during his second presidency. The family has since dropped its earlier pledge to steer clear of foreign investments and financial arrangements. Trump has said he received little credit for abstaining from foreign business during his first term, telling one interviewer that nobody cared and that he has now let his children pursue such deals.
The BBC has already asked the court to throw out the entire case, arguing the documentary was never broadcast in the United States. The court has yet to rule on that motion. For now, though, the president finds himself in the unusual position of having filed a suit that could expose far more of his financial world than he ever intended — a $10 billion gamble that, at least this week, isn’t paying off the way he hoped.
