University Shooting Leaves 2 Dead, 9 Wounded

A manhunt continues for a gunman who killed two students and injured nine others during a shooting at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, as the FBI offers a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

The shooting occurred around 2 p.m. Saturday, December 13, 2025, in a classroom inside the Barus & Holley building, an engineering facility on the Providence campus. The first 911 call came in at 4 p.m. Saturday, authorities said.

Nine students were wounded in the attack, with six patients in critical stable condition. One patient may be in critical condition, according to preliminary reports. More than 40 rounds were fired during the incident, and investigators determined a 9mm handgun was used.

The victims who died were identified as Ella Cook and Mukhammad Aziz Umurzokov.

Police detained a person of interest Sunday morning at a Hampton Inn in Coventry, Rhode Island. However, authorities released that individual Sunday night, leaving no suspect currently in custody.

“I’ve been around long enough to know that sometimes you head in one direction and then you have to regroup and go in another,” Attorney General Peter Neronha said during a Sunday night press conference.

Providence Police Chief Oscar Perez released surveillance videos Monday showing a person of interest near Hope and Benevolent streets, as well as on Waterman Street. The suspect is described as a male, approximately 5 feet 8 inches tall with a stocky build, who wore black clothing and a face mask.

President Donald Trump initially posted on social media Saturday that a suspect was in custody. He walked back the post less than 20 minutes later, clarifying that no one had been apprehended.

A shelter-in-place order that locked down the campus was lifted Sunday morning. Brown University President Christina H. Paxson announced that remaining classes and exams were canceled following the tragedy.

Governor Dan McKee urged the public to come forward with any information. “Just like all of us, we want to see the individual who pulled the trigger on these young kids identified, apprehended and brought to justice,” he said Monday.

Providence Mayor Brett Smiley addressed community concerns, stating there have been no credible threats of further violence since Saturday’s attack.

The FBI’s Boston Division deployed additional resources to Providence, including evidence response teams that remained on campus processing the scene. FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed the bureau’s laboratory was also assisting with the investigation.

Authorities urged anyone with information to contact the tip line at 401-272-3121.

Among the survivors was Mia Tretta, who was also shot during a previous mass shooting at her high school. Tretta has become a prominent advocate for gun violence prevention in the years since that attack.

The shooting at Brown marks another chapter in America’s ongoing struggle with campus gun violence. It occurred during finals week, a time when students typically face heightened stress but expect safety within university walls.

The incident prompted widespread reaction from officials. FBI Director Patel and other federal authorities faced scrutiny over the handling of public communications in the immediate aftermath, with some information initially shared on social media later requiring correction or clarification.

Brown’s campus, located on College Hill in Providence’s East Side neighborhood, is known for its mix of historic homes and modern academic buildings. The Barus & Holley building serves as a physics and engineering center, housing classrooms and research facilities.

The university asked anyone who had been in the Barus & Holley building on either Friday or Saturday to contact Providence police for interviews.

Rhode Island State Police joined the investigation, providing investigative and patrol support to both the city and campus. The collaborative effort involves multiple law enforcement agencies working to identify and apprehend the shooter.

The reward offer from the FBI represents a significant federal commitment to solving the case. Authorities are seeking any information that could lead to the identification, arrest and conviction of the person responsible for the deadly attack.

As the investigation continues, the Brown University community remains shaken by the violence that shattered what should have been a routine academic day. The loss of Cook and Umurzokov has left students, faculty and staff grieving while authorities work to bring the perpetrator to justice.

━ latest articles

━ explore more

━ more articles like this