CBS News Star Let Go Following Trump Dispute

A standoff between CBS News President and CEO Bari Weiss and “60 Minutes” correspondent Sharyn Alfonsi over a segment critical of President Trump has ended with Alfonsi’s departure, set for the end of May 2026 when her contract expires.

Alfonsi, 53, has hired Bryan Freedman, a prominent Hollywood attorney whose previous clients include Tucker Carlson, Megyn Kelly and Don Lemon. The departure was first disclosed by the New York Post’s Page Six on May 8, 2026.

The CECOT Report and Editorial Tensions

The conflict between Alfonsi and Weiss began in December when Weiss postponed “Inside CECOT,” a report exposing abuse suffered by two Venezuelan men deported from the United States to El Salvador’s CECOT prison. CBS had already started promoting the segment when Weiss pulled it, saying the story did not advance the ball and needed a Trump administration official’s response.

The administration declined Alfonsi’s invitation to participate. In a leaked email to colleagues, Alfonsi called the standard a “tactical maneuver designed to kill the story” and warned that ceding such ground would turn “60 Minutes” from “an investigative powerhouse” into “a stenographer for the state.”

The report eventually aired in January without a White House or DHS interview. Weiss later said she should not have pulled it hours before broadcast, though she maintained the piece needed more reporting. Some staffers suspected the delay was corporate rather than editorial, tied to Paramount’s pursuit of a Warner Bros. Discovery purchase and fears of antagonizing the administration during regulatory review.

Alfonsi, who joined “60 Minutes” in 2015, characterized Weiss’ intervention as a political decision, not an editorial one, and has accused her boss of running cover for the White House.

A Public Reckoning at the Press Club

Speaking on April 30 at the National Press Club in Washington as she accepted the Ridenhour Courage Prize, Alfonsi addressed the conflict directly in remarks that appeared valedictory.

“I will not linger on the internal mechanics of the dust-up at CBS that led to our CECOT story being pulled, but we have to be honest about what it represents,” she said. “It wasn’t an isolated editorial argument. In my view, it was the result of a more aggressive contagion: the spread of corporate meddling and editorial fear. It’s hard to watch.”

She joked about her brief waitressing career before journalism, noting that getting fired would not be her first experience. Days later, Page Six confirmed her departure. At the gala, she said she always promised to follow former “60 Minutes” Executive Producer Bill Owens over a cliff—and apparently she did.

Cooper Out, Dokoupil Struggling

Alfonsi is not the only marquee correspondent departing. Anderson Cooper announced in February that he would not renew his contract for the fall season, ending more than two decades with the program. Cooper cited a desire to spend more time with his young children, though his exit followed its own tensions with management over a report on President Trump’s decision to accept refugees from South Africa, which faced what insiders called an unusual level of editorial scrutiny. Veteran producer Michael Gavshon was said to be exasperated by the edits.

Weiss, the 42-year-old executive who took over in October, has also reshaped other parts of CBS News. In January, she installed Tony Dokoupil as host of “CBS Evening News,” backed by a marketing campaign that sent him on the road hosting broadcasts from cities nationwide. The program averaged just 3.85 million viewers last week, falling short of the industry-recognized four million benchmark.

Upon taking the chair, Dokoupil told viewers that legacy media missed the story by putting too much weight in the analysis of academics or elites, and not enough on ordinary Americans.

What Comes Next For 60 Minutes

With Alfonsi’s exit and Cooper’s departure, the correspondent lineup at “60 Minutes” is shrinking at a moment when its editorial direction faces unusually public scrutiny. Weiss is expected to make significant changes to the newsmagazine once the current season concludes this month.

Whether Alfonsi will pursue legal action remains uncertain, though Freedman’s involvement signals she is preparing for tough negotiations and does not intend a quiet exit.

━ latest articles

━ explore more

━ more articles like this