Judge Slaps Melania With Warning Over Legal War

First Lady Melania Trump has pushed forward with a fresh legal salvo against author Michael Wolff, filing a motion for sanctions on Tuesday, July 22, even after a federal judge cautioned her against escalating the fight. The move seeks to force Wolff and his attorneys to cover a range of legal fees stemming from a lawsuit he filed against her, and it comes despite an explicit warning from the bench that pressing on may not serve anyone’s interests.

Wolff, a 72-year-old biographer known for his chronicles of President Donald Trump’s political career, sued the first lady last October in New York under laws intended to shield the press from litigation designed to silence critics. He characterized the latest maneuver against him as a textbook example of the family’s approach to the courts, calling it “Trump law in a nutshell.”

A Judge’s Blunt Caution

District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil, who was appointed by President Trump and is a longtime member of the Federalist Society, threw out Wolff’s lawsuit against the first lady in May. When Melania Trump, 56, signaled earlier this month that she intended to pursue sanctions, Vyskocil urged restraint from the bench. The judge questioned whether further litigation would benefit either side, saying, according to Courthouse News Service, “I wonder if it’s in the interest of the parties to continue litigating in this court.”

Vyskocil said people sometimes become too wrapped up in disputes to weigh the costs against the benefits of their motions and the strain on the court.

The first lady’s legal team pressed ahead regardless. Speaking on the “Inside Trump’s Head” podcast, Wolff said he was surprised her attorneys had moved forward despite the warning.

How the Feud Began

The origins of the clash trace back to remarks Wolff made about the Trump family’s connections to Jeffrey Epstein, including a suggestion that Melania Trump may have crossed paths with President Trump through the late financier’s social circle. The first lady threatened to sue him for $1 billion over those comments.

Rather than wait to be sued, Wolff filed a preemptive action in New York — an anti-SLAPP suit crafted to protect journalists from lawsuits meant to intimidate them. Her attorneys then had the matter moved to federal court, arguing that she did not reside in New York but in Florida. After months of procedural back-and-forth, Vyskocil dismissed the case, ruling that Wolff had filed too early, before the first lady had formally brought any claim against him.

Wolff, who has written four books about President Trump and his administrations — “Fire and Fury,” “Siege,” “Landslide,” and “All or Nothing” — recounted that a White House source told him nobody had anticipated his lawsuit. He said he rattled the first lady and her lawyers by raising $837,000 in small-dollar contributions through GoFundMe, framing the fundraising as a source of alarm for the opposing side.

The Fight Over Fees

In her 26-page motion, the first lady’s lawyers zeroed in on that fundraising effort, accusing Wolff of converting his lawsuit into a fundraising drive and a political spectacle. They argued that he had brought a baseless claim and used it to publicly harass her.

The filing contended that Wolff and his counsel advanced a legally frivolous claim backed by factual assertions lacking evidentiary support, and that they leveraged it to run a political and commercial campaign. On that basis, her attorneys asked that Wolff and his lawyers be ordered to pay her fees and expenses tied to what they described as an abuse of the legal process.

Wolff, for his part, forecast a lengthy road ahead. He predicted Vyskocil would deny the first lady’s motion, prompting an appeal to the Second Circuit, another loss there, and an eventual push to the Supreme Court. While acknowledging that the outcome at the high court is unknowable, he argued that the broader effect would be to pile months of delay and substantial expense onto the legal calendar — a pattern he cast as designed to wear opponents down and steer clear of testimony.

Representatives for the first lady did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The dispute unfolds as Melania Trump remains a prominent public figure, with her life also chronicled in the recent documentary “Melania,” which offered an inside look at the 20 days leading up to the 2025 presidential inauguration.

━ latest articles

━ explore more

━ more articles like this