Mass Shooting: 12 Fatally Shot, Including 3 Children

A mass shooting at an unlicensed bar near Pretoria, South Africa, left 12 people dead early Saturday morning, including three children, according to the South African Police Service. The attack has renewed concerns about violence at illegal drinking establishments across the country.

The shooting occurred around 4:15 a.m. on Dec. 6 at a bar inside a hostel in Saulsville township, located approximately 18 kilometers west of Pretoria. Ten victims died at the scene, while two additional people succumbed to their injuries at the hospital. Among the dead were a three-year-old boy, a 12-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl.

Another 14 injured individuals were transported to area hospitals for treatment. Police have not released details about the ages or current conditions of those wounded in the attack.

According to police spokesperson Brig. Athlenda Mathe, three gunmen entered the hostel where people were drinking and began firing indiscriminately. “We are told that at least three unknown gunmen entered this hostel where a group of people were drinking and they started randomly shooting,” Mathe told national broadcaster SABC.

In total, 25 people were shot during the rampage. Police were not alerted to the incident until approximately 6 a.m., nearly two hours after the shooting began. Authorities have launched a manhunt for three male suspects, though the motive for the killings remains unknown.

The attack occurred at what police described as an illegal shebeen, a term used in South Africa for unlicensed bars. These establishments have become focal points for violence in recent years, operating outside regulatory oversight and often attracting criminal activity.

Mathe emphasized the growing problem of violence at such venues. “We are having a serious challenge when it comes to these illegal and unlicensed liquor premises,” she said, noting that most mass shootings occur at these locations. She added that innocent people frequently get caught in the crossfire.

In response to the proliferation of illegal drinking establishments, South African police have intensified enforcement efforts. Between April and September of this year, authorities shut down more than 11,000 illegal taverns and arrested over 18,000 people for involvement in illegal liquor sales.

Saturday’s shooting is the latest in a series of mass attacks at bars across South Africa. In 2022, 16 people were killed in a shooting at a bar in Soweto, a township in Johannesburg. On the same day, four people died in a mass shooting at a bar in another province.

More recently, gunmen killed eight customers at a tavern in Durban in May. These incidents highlight a pattern of violence that extends beyond isolated criminal acts to a broader public safety crisis affecting communities throughout the nation.

Mass violence in South Africa is not confined to bars and taverns. In September of last year, 18 people were killed in mass shootings that occurred minutes apart at two houses on the same road in a rural part of Eastern Cape province. Fifteen of the victims were women. Seven men were arrested for those shootings and face multiple charges of murder. Police recovered three AK-style assault rifles believed to have been used in the attacks.

South Africa struggles with one of the highest homicide rates in the world. The country recorded more than 26,000 homicides in 2024, averaging between 60 and 70 murders per day. Firearms are by far the leading cause of death in homicides across the nation.

Despite relatively strict gun ownership laws, many killings are committed with illegal firearms. The country of 62 million people faces challenges controlling the circulation of unlicensed weapons, which criminals often use to carry out violent crimes. The accessibility of illegal guns has contributed to the persistent violence plaguing townships and rural areas alike.

The entrenched crime and corruption driven by organized networks continue to undermine public safety efforts. Law enforcement faces ongoing challenges in combating these criminal enterprises, which often operate with impunity in underserved communities where illegal establishments flourish.

As authorities continue their search for the three suspects in Saturday’s shooting, questions remain about how to prevent similar attacks. The presence of children among the victims underscores the indiscriminate nature of the violence and the vulnerability of communities where illegal bars operate without oversight.

The investigation into the Saulsville shooting remains ongoing, with police working to identify the perpetrators and determine the motive behind the attack.

━ latest articles

━ explore more

━ more articles like this