First Lady Melania Trump made a rare political statement Tuesday, January 27, 2026, calling for unity and peaceful protests in Minneapolis, Minnesota, as tensions continue following two fatal shootings by federal immigration agents in the city.
“I’m calling for unity. I know my husband, the president, had a great call yesterday with the governor and the mayor, and they’re working together to make it peaceful and without riots,” Melania Trump said during an appearance on Fox and Friends Tuesday morning. “I’m against the violence, so please, if you protest, protest in peace. And we need to unify in this time.”
The first lady’s statement comes amid escalating protests following the deaths of Alex Pretti, a 37-year-old man, and Renee Nicole Good, a 37-year-old woman, both shot by federal agents during immigration enforcement operations in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Pretti was shot by a federal agent on January 24, while Good was killed by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent on January 7. A third person was shot on January 14 but survived.
Melania Trump’s public comments on the Minneapolis situation represent an unusual foray into political matters for the first lady, who typically maintains a lower profile on policy issues. Her appearance on Fox and Friends came as she has been more visible in recent weeks promoting her upcoming documentary.
President Donald Trump indicated on January 26 that he had good calls with Minnesota Governor Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey. The president also agreed to reduce the number of federal agents in Minnesota, according to officials. Over 2,000 federal officers have been deployed to Minnesota as part of immigration enforcement operations, with approximately 3,000 immigration agents operating in the Minneapolis area.
Federal officials claim over 3,000 undocumented immigrants have been detained during the operations. The large-scale enforcement presence in Minneapolis has sparked ongoing protests since federal agents arrived in the city in December, with demonstrations intensifying following the recent fatal shootings.
The circumstances surrounding Pretti’s death remain disputed. Federal officials claim Pretti had a handgun and was violently resisting officers when the shooting occurred. However, videos circulating online appear to show Pretti with only a phone in his hand at the time of the incident.
Greg Bovino, who was involved in the Minneapolis operations, claimed without evidence that Pretti “intended to massacre law enforcement.” Bovino is now being sent home from Minneapolis. Meanwhile, Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem has been among Trump administration officials defending the agent’s actions.
Pretti’s family has strongly rejected the administration’s characterization of events. In a statement, they said the administration has told “sickening lies” about the incident, calling the claims “reprehensible and disgusting.” The family’s pushback against the official narrative has added to public scrutiny of the shooting and federal immigration enforcement tactics in Minneapolis.
A federal judge has blocked the Trump administration from destroying or altering evidence related to the shooting, ensuring materials are preserved for investigation. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche has been involved in addressing legal matters surrounding the incident, while Keith Ellison has called for a thorough investigation.
The White House announced that Border Czar Tom Homan has been dispatched to Minneapolis to oversee immigration enforcement operations in the state. Homan, who previously had not been involved in the Minnesota operations, will report directly to President Trump on the situation.
The deployment of thousands of federal immigration agents to a single metropolitan area represents an unprecedented concentration of enforcement resources. Immigration and Customs Enforcement typically conducts operations with smaller teams, making the scale of the Minneapolis presence highly unusual. The decision to send over 2,000 federal officers to Minnesota reflects the Trump administration’s emphasis on immigration enforcement as a priority policy area.
Minneapolis has become a focal point for debates over immigration enforcement tactics and federal-local relations. The city’s leadership has expressed concerns about the heavy federal presence, while protesters have maintained a sustained presence in the streets calling for agents to leave the area. The deaths of Pretti and Good have transformed what began as protests over immigration policy into a broader controversy over use of force and accountability.
Melania Trump’s documentary project has brought her into the public eye more frequently in recent weeks. The film, directed by Brett Ratner, is part of a $40 million documentary deal. An event is planned for the Kennedy Center on January 30.
The first lady’s increased media presence surrounding the documentary release has coincided with the Minneapolis crisis, creating an unusual intersection of her promotional activities and commentary on a politically sensitive situation. Her call for unity represents one of her most direct statements on a controversial policy matter during her time as first lady.
Stephen Miller has been among administration officials commenting on the Minneapolis situation, defending the federal enforcement operations and the actions of agents involved in the shootings.
The situation in Minneapolis continues to evolve as federal and state officials negotiate over the presence of immigration enforcement agents in the city. The agreement to reduce the number of federal officers represents a potential de-escalation, though details about the timeline and scope of the reduction remain unclear. Governor Walz’s office indicated the president agreed to look into reducing agent numbers, suggesting ongoing discussions about the federal presence.
The controversy has raised questions about rules of engagement for federal agents during immigration enforcement operations, particularly in situations involving protesters or bystanders. Use-of-force policies for Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol agents typically require officers to use deadly force only when facing an imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm. The conflicting accounts of what Pretti was holding and doing at the time of the shooting have made determining whether the shooting met that standard a central issue in the ongoing scrutiny.
Public reaction to Melania Trump’s statement has been mixed, with some praising her call for unity while others criticized the remarks as inadequate given the circumstances. The first lady’s message focused on the need for peaceful protest rather than directly addressing the fatal shootings or the families’ concerns about the federal response.
As Minneapolis navigates the aftermath of the shootings, the city faces ongoing protests and continued federal presence, though at potentially reduced levels. The situation has become a flashpoint in broader national debates over immigration enforcement, federal authority, and the appropriate use of force by government agents. The preservation of evidence ordered by the federal judge ensures that an investigation can proceed, though questions about transparency and accountability remain prominent in public discourse about the events in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Sources:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/melania-minneapolis-protest-alex-pretti-b2908548.html
https://www.ladbible.com/news/us-news/melania-trump-statement-ice-shootings-rare-253231-20260127
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2026/01/27/first-lady-melania-trump-unity-minneapolis/88376638007/
https://kfiam640.iheart.com/content/2026-01-27-melania-trump-calls-for-unity-in-minneapolis/
https://700wlw.iheart.com/content/2026-01-27-melania-trump-calls-for-unity-in-minneapolis/?pname=www.700wlw.com&sc=dnsredirect
