President Donald Trump lashed out at The Washington Post in a furious online tirade on Thursday, August 6, branding the newspaper’s reporting “treasonous” after it published an article about a heated exchange between the president and his defense secretary concerning the depletion of America’s advanced weapons stockpiles. The outburst represented a dramatic break in the previously cordial ties between Trump and the newspaper’s billionaire proprietor, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos.
The Post reported that Trump confronted Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth during a Cabinet meeting at Camp David in Thurmont, Maryland, last week about weapons shortages linked to the Iran conflict. The president apparently thought the issue "had been fixed" and was upset he hadn’t received complete updates on munitions reserves.
Trump disputed the account on Truth Social, saying he was satisfied with Hegseth’s performance and that operations were going well. He also dusted off a familiar MAGA insult for the paper, dubbing it The Washington ComPost.
President Defends His Defense Secretary
Trump defended Hegseth, praising his military reputation and success in eliminating DEI programs while boosting recruitment. The president called the story false and said he believed the newspaper’s reporting amounted to treason.
The president, 80, has a long record of attacking outlets over coverage he dislikes. But the venom directed at the Post carried extra weight given how cordial his dealings with Bezos have been since he returned to office. Bezos attended Trump’s second inauguration in January 2025 alongside Meta chief executive Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk, has been welcomed to the White House, and has openly worked to smooth relations with the administration.
The timing is delicate for the White House. Worries over the nation’s precision-guided missile inventories have grown into a sensitive issue as the war with Iran enters its sixth month with no peace deal in sight. Heavy operational demands have strained stocks of Patriot interceptors and other advanced weapons, according to multiple reports, leaving the Pentagon facing pointed questions about the readiness of its arsenal.
Trump denied any weapons shortage, writing Thursday that America possesses vast munitions stocks that are being replenished through ongoing production and delivery. He threatened harsh prison terms for anyone suspected of leaking sensitive information.
Iran’s defense minister, Majid Ibn-e-Reza, offered his own assessment on X, claiming the enemy’s diminishing capabilities were becoming clearer by the day while insisting his armed forces, backed by the country’s defense industry, were fully equipped to answer any threat.
Post Editor Stands Firm
Executive editor Matt Murray defended the newspaper’s reporting and said attacks on its credibility wouldn’t undermine its dedication to independent journalism.
The public feud lands against a backdrop of extraordinary turmoil inside the paper and an unusually complicated relationship between its owner and the president. That dynamic came into sharp focus in June with revelations from “Regime Change,” a forthcoming book by reporters Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan of The New York Times.
The book revealed that Bezos told Trump at a private Mar-a-Lago dinner in December 2024 that the Post was "the worst investment I ever made.” Bezos, who bought the paper in 2013 for $250 million, reportedly complained that the people running its business side did not listen, unlike his other companies. Trump, who has long derided the paper, responded that the Post was really unfair and urged Bezos to take better care of it.
A Newspaper in Crisis
The dinner came just weeks after Bezos, in October 2024, blocked a Post editorial preparing to endorse Kamala Harris for president, a decision that triggered mass subscriber cancellations and a wave of departures. The paper lost more than $100 million that year, according to the book’s account.
In February 2025, Bezos announced the opinion section would concentrate on two pillars, personal liberties and free markets, a shift that led opinion editor David Shipley to resign. He later installed Adam O’Neal to oversee the section. In February 2026, the Post laid off one-third of its staff, roughly 300 journalists, eliminating its sports section, books coverage and several foreign bureaus. Days later, publisher and CEO Will Lewis stepped down, and chief financial officer Jeff D’Onofrio was named interim CEO and publisher.
The irony of Bezos courting Trump may be sharpest in private. Haberman and Swan reported that the president mocked both Bezos and Zuckerberg behind their backs as the two men sought his favor after the election. As one analysis noted, Bezos may have believed he was winning goodwill while a president ridiculing him offered little respect in return.
