Anthony Scaramucci, who served briefly as White House communications director under President Donald Trump, weighed in on widespread speculation surrounding the relationship between the president and First Lady Melania Trump. Scaramucci acknowledged rumors of a formal contract governing their marriage but clarified he has never personally seen such a document. However, he noted that “as an observer” they “act like they’re in a transactional contractual relationship.”
Describing his perspective as “third party hearsay observation,” Scaramucci said he has not seen “prima facie” evidence of any contract. He also commented that he thought Melania was “more grounded than others may think.”
His remarks arrive as the first lady faces mounting questions about her whereabouts. Her absence from Sen. Lindsey Graham’s funeral on Tuesday, July 28, 2026, intensified what has become Washington’s most talked-about mystery this summer: Where’s Melania?
President Donald Trump spoke at the memorial service, but his wife stayed away. He arrived accompanied solely by close aide Natalie Harp. Inside the venue, the president sat alongside Vice President JD Vance, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, son Eric Trump and daughter-in-law Lara Trump. Among those present were Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky and Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The empty seat reserved for the first lady became an immediate topic of online discussion.
Repeated No-Shows Fuel Speculation
Graham’s funeral represented just the latest in a string of high-profile events from which First Lady Melania Trump has been conspicuously absent. She did not attend the rescheduled White House Correspondents’ Dinner on July 24. She skipped her stepson Don Jr.’s wedding entirely.
When Newsweek contacted her press office and the White House on Tuesday, July 28, both offices declined to address the absences. A White House spokesperson previously told Fox News a prior commitment prevented her from attending the correspondents’ dinner, and officials had signaled in advance she was not expected to appear.
Marc Beckman, an aide to the first lady, offered an explanation for the funeral absence via Instagram Story. He highlighted the seven-year milestone of Fostering the Future, a BE BEST initiative, which had rolled out new program enhancements. The Foster Youth to Independence Program aims to provide vulnerable youth with housing stability and a pathway to self-sufficiency. First Lady Melania Trump has characterized the collaboration between child welfare organizations and public housing authorities as vital, framing housing not as just another government assistance program but as an investment in the futures of young people.
She did release a written statement mourning Graham. She expressed sadness over his sudden death and paid tribute to his decades of service to the country and unwavering commitment to his responsibilities, offering sympathies to all those touched by his life and legacy.
Selected Public Appearances
The first lady has not withdrawn from public life completely. She made her most recent appearance at the FIFA World Cup final on July 19 in East Rutherford, New Jersey, accompanying her husband and son Barron to watch the title game. She stood with her husband during his July 4 “Salute to America 250” celebration on the National Mall in Washington. During June, she appeared at ringside for UFC Freedom 250 held on the South Lawn of the White House, where she sat with relatives and UFC President Dana White for the unprecedented fight card at the presidential residence.
She also attended the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in April. Gunfire erupted outside the venue during that event, leading Secret Service personnel to swiftly remove the president, the first lady and other top administration figures from the event space. Officials moved the dinner to July 24 as a replacement — though she did not attend that second attempt. The vice president and the secretary of state likewise stayed away from the postponed event.
Observers of the administration have taken note. On the Inside Trump’s Head podcast, Joanna Coles pointed out that Americans have seen almost nothing of the first lady this year. Those who follow Washington closely note that Melania Trump’s official calendar of events has been considerably sparser than those of her predecessors.
Threat Assessment and Brand Strategy
Her reduced visibility comes amid a security concern. On Monday, July 27, the U.S. Secret Service confirmed awareness of a video with Iranian connections that focused on the first lady. Nate Herring, who handles public affairs for the Secret Service, explained that the agency looks into any potential threats directed at those under its protection but declined to share specific intelligence details for security reasons. Authorities have given no sign publicly that either her absence from the senator’s memorial service or the journalism association’s event had any connection to the video threat, nor have they suggested the situations are related.
Public relations expert Chad Teixeira views the pattern as something more strategic. He sees it as a deliberate strategy to establish herself independently from a highly divisive political identity. “Donald Trump made Melania one of the most recognizable women in the world, but that also means she’ll always carry that association,” Teixeira told the Irish Star. By reducing her visibility, he suggested, she may be testing whether people will take interest in her independent identity rather than viewing her solely through her connection to the Trump brand. “The goal isn’t to erase that connection because she never will; instead, it’s to give people another reason to talk about her,” he said.
Born in Slovenia April 26, 1970, First Lady Melania Trump moved to New York in 1996 and became a naturalized citizen 10 years later. She is no stranger to standing on her own. She established the BE BEST campaign in 2018 focused on the well-being of children. For now, though, the loudest conversation about the first lady is about the rooms she has chosen not to enter.
