**HEADLINE:** Melania Trump Returns to TV in Stunning Move
Despite a box office performance that would make most studio executives reach for antacids, Amazon MGM Studios is moving forward with a new documentary series on First Lady Melania Trump, set for release this fall. Producer and senior adviser Marc Beckman, one of Melania Trump’s key advisers and a producer on her January 2026 documentary, announced the project on Monday on the conservative media network Real America’s Voice.
The news lands roughly seven months after the original film, “Melania,” grossed just $16.6 million worldwide against a total cost — production, acquisition, and marketing — of $75 million. That gap is not subtle. The licensing fee alone reportedly ran $40 million, with marketing costs estimated at an additional $35 million. The film also earned a 10% score from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.
A ‘Completely Different’ Look — Again
Beckman told Real America’s Voice host Eric Bolling that the new companion docuseries would offer “a completely different look at her world” than the original film. He positioned the series as an expansion of territory the first film barely touched, pointing out that “Melania” captured only 20 days of the first lady’s life — specifically the 20 days leading up to President Donald Trump’s second inauguration on Jan. 20, 2025.
The new series will explore her private life, her marriage, her family, her career, and her philanthropy, Beckman said. Described as “shot different” from the original film, the docuseries promises to show viewers the beginning of President Trump’s second term as the country’s 47th president, according to Beckman. It is framed as a companion piece to “Melania” rather than a sequel.
Amazon MGM Studios head of Prime Video Mike Hopkins had already signaled the project was coming. Speaking on Variety’s “Strictly Business” podcast in June 2026, Hopkins said of the original film, “It did really well,” and added, “We’ll have another bite at the apple when we release the companion docuseries later this year.” Whether Hopkins’s characterization of the first film’s performance aligned with standard financial metrics is, to put it gently, a matter of interpretation.
The Baggage the Original Film Carried
“Melania” was contentious before it ever screened. The film marked the Hollywood return of director Brett Ratner, best known for the “Rush Hour” franchise, who relocated to Israel following his exile from the industry after at least six women accused him of sexual harassment or misconduct during the Me Too movement in 2017. Ratner has denied wrongdoing and has not been charged with any crimes.
Beyond Ratner, the film’s announcement drew scrutiny because it came months after Amazon founder Jeff Bezos publicly congratulated President Trump for his “extraordinary political comeback” following his 2024 reelection. Democratic strategist James Carville did not hold back in his assessment, saying at the time, “What’s happening right in front of your fucking eyes … they’re paying her $40 million.” He added: “I don’t know. Somebody better look into this.”
Bezos pushed back in a May 2026 interview with CNBC, calling the decision to acquire “Melania” a “very wise business decision” and denying that he had any involvement with the film’s financial outcome or that the licensing was intended to curry favor with the administration. Trump’s financial disclosures, released in July 2026, showed he received a $10.71 million licensing fee from the documentary.
Beckman’s Credibility Takes Its Own Hits
Beckman himself became a minor story earlier this month when he was widely mocked as “delusional” for what critics described as over-the-top praise of the first lady. That episode did not appear to slow his promotional energy for the upcoming series.
Amazon MGM Studios has not responded to requests for comment on the new project. Whether the companion docuseries will replicate or reverse the financial trajectory of its predecessor is an open question — one Amazon appears content to answer by simply pressing forward.
What the New Series Promises
The new docuseries is slated to land on Prime Video this fall. Beckman has framed it as something more layered than the original film — a longer, more intimate look at a first lady who has, for most of her husband’s time in public life, remained closely guarded. Whether audiences who largely skipped “Melania” in theaters will feel differently about a serialized version is a question the fall release will answer.
Amazon MGM has not confirmed details about the project publicly, and the studio did not return requests for comment from multiple outlets.
