The Boulder Police Department released its annual update on the JonBenét Ramsey murder investigation on Dec. 12, 2025, revealing that investigators have collected new evidence and conducted additional interviews in the nearly three-decade-old case.
Boulder Police Chief Stephen Redfearn emphasized the department’s commitment to solving the case as the 29th anniversary of the six-year-old’s death approaches. “This case remains a top priority for our department,” Redfearn stated in a video message released by the department.
The investigation has taken on renewed urgency with advances in forensic science. Over the past year, detectives have collected new evidence and utilized evolving DNA technology to test and retest existing materials from the case. The department has also conducted several new interviews and re-interviewed individuals based on tips received from the public.
Redfearn explained that techniques and technology constantly evolve, particularly regarding DNA testing capabilities. However, police have not released details about what specific evidence was tested or who was interviewed, citing the ongoing nature of the investigation.
In September, JonBenét’s older brother, John Andrew Ramsey, said that undisclosed evidence is being reexamined, along with clues from the basement crime scene that have never previously been subjected to forensic testing.
One of the Ramsey family’s former criminal defense lawyers spoke out publicly for the first time at CrimeCon in Aurora this fall. Hal Haddon was blunt, telling followers of the JonBenét case that one of the murder weapons—a crude garrote used to strangle the child—may still contain overlooked clues.
JonBenét Ramsey was found dead in the basement of her Boulder, Colorado home in 1996. The case began when her parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, discovered a ransom note on the stairs of their home. Hours after reporting their daughter missing, John Ramsey discovered the child’s body in the basement.
The autopsy revealed that JonBenét died from strangulation, and her skull was fractured. Investigators found unknown DNA under her fingernails and in her underwear, evidence that has remained central to the investigation for decades.
The case quickly became one of the most high-profile unsolved murders in American history, generating countless theories and intense media scrutiny. The investigation has involved extensive resources, with investigators traveling to 19 states to pursue leads. The department has received over 21,000 tips throughout the investigation and interviewed over 1,000 individuals with potential connections to the case.
The Ramsey family endured years of public suspicion before being officially cleared as suspects in 2008. Patsy Ramsey died in 2006, never seeing justice for her daughter’s death. John Ramsey continues to advocate for the case’s resolution and has met with police leadership.
Chief Redfearn confirmed that he has met with the Ramsey family and told them the department shares their goal of bringing JonBenét’s murderer to justice. The chief emphasized the ongoing nature of the investigation and the department’s determination to pursue every available lead.
Modern DNA technology has revolutionized cold case investigations across the country, allowing forensic scientists to extract genetic profiles from evidence that was previously too degraded or limited to test. These advances have solved numerous decades-old cases and provided new hope for families seeking answers.
Redfearn issued a direct appeal to the public in his video statement. “It is never too late for people with knowledge of this terrible crime to come forward, and I urge those responsible for this murder to contact us,” he said.
The department urges anyone with information to come forward, no matter how much time has passed. Tips and information can provide investigators with new directions or corroborate existing theories, potentially leading to a breakthrough in the case.
As the 29th anniversary approaches, the case remains open and active. The Boulder Police Department’s annual updates serve to remind the public that the investigation continues and that solving JonBenét’s murder remains a top priority for the department. The combination of advanced forensic technology, continued investigative work and public cooperation offers the possibility that this long-standing mystery may finally be resolved.
The department maintains a dedicated tipline for anyone with information about the case, encouraging witnesses or individuals with knowledge to contact investigators regardless of how much time has elapsed since the crime.
