Prince Harry told London’s High Court that relentless media surveillance by the Daily Mail left him feeling isolated and deeply suspicious, as a nine-week trial examining allegations of systematic privacy violations began Monday, January 19, 2026. The Duke of Sussex joined celebrities including Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley in accusing Associated Newspapers Ltd. of orchestrating unlawful information gathering campaigns spanning two decades.
Attorney David Sherborne alleged in his opening statement that the publisher maintained a longstanding practice of hiring private investigators who employed “dark arts” to obtain celebrity scoops. The intrusions left Harry feeling “disturbing to feel that my every move, thought or feeling was being tracked and monitored just for the Mail to make money out of it,” according to court documents filed in the case. The alleged monitoring was “terrifying” for his loved ones and created a “massive strain” on his personal relationships, leaving Harry “paranoid beyond belief.”
The privacy invasion lawsuit represents Harry’s third legal action against British tabloids, with tens of millions of dollars hanging in the balance. Plaintiffs alongside Harry include actress Sadie Frost and Elton John’s husband, David Furnish, who claim investigators bugged their vehicles, obtained confidential personal records and eavesdropped on private telephone conversations.
Associated Newspapers has categorically denied all allegations, calling them “preposterous” and arguing that articles cited in the lawsuit relied on legitimate sources, including friends willing to share information about their famous associates. Defense attorney Antony White argued that royal press officers, publicists, freelance journalists and photographers all served as legitimate information providers for Daily Mail stories.
Harry appeared at court wearing a dark blue suit and waved at reporters as he entered through a side entrance. A spokesperson said he was feeling “confident and ready” ahead of the trial, which is set to last nine weeks. He sat in the courtroom near Hurley and Frost, while John observed the proceedings remotely.
The case follows Harry’s 2023 court victory against the Daily Mirror, where a judge condemned publishers for widespread phone hacking and awarded him £140,600 in damages. Separately, News Group Newspapers reached a settlement with Harry last year, issuing an unprecedented apology and agreeing to pay substantial damages after acknowledging years of intrusive behavior.
Harry has described his legal campaign as part of a broader mission to reform British media practices. He blames aggressive press tactics for the 1997 death of his mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a Paris car crash while being pursued by paparazzi. Harry has also stated that persistent media attacks on Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, contributed to their 2020 decision to relocate to the United States.
Defense lawyer White challenged the lawsuit’s foundations, arguing that plaintiffs built their case on weak inferences by attempting to connect published articles with payments made to private investigators. He stated that witnesses ranging from editors to veteran reporters would dispute the allegations and explain their actual sources, which frequently included individuals close to the subjects.
Associated Newspapers has argued that many claims were filed too late, noting some allegations date back to 1993 despite lawsuits being filed in 2022. Judge Matthew Nicklin declined to dismiss the cases on statute of limitations grounds but indicated he would revisit that defense after hearing all evidence presented during the trial.
Sherborne accused the company of vigorous denials while simultaneously destroying records and allowing masses of documents to disappear, preventing plaintiffs from discovering the full extent of alleged misconduct. The attorney said Associated Newspapers presented itself as operating ethically while knowing it harbored damaging secrets.
The lawyer told the court that his clients remained unaware they were phone hacking victims until private investigator Gavin Burrows came forward in 2021. Burrows initially claimed he performed “hundreds of jobs” for the Mail between 2000 and 2005, with Harry, Hurley, Frost, John and Furnish representing only a fraction of his targets.
However, Burrows subsequently disavowed his sworn statement and denied ever working for the publication. White argued that a substantial portion of the plaintiffs’ case collapses without Burrows as a supporting witness, noting that several claimants have stated they would never have filed lawsuits without the investigator’s initial testimony.
Sherborne downplayed Burrows’ importance to the overall case, noting that other witnesses have confirmed the investigator did perform work for the newspapers. He suggested Burrows’ reversal could stem from pressure or incentives provided by the defense.
Harry is scheduled to provide testimony on Friday, January 24, marking his second courtroom testimony appearance. In 2023, he became the first senior royal family member to testify in court in more than 130 years when he appeared in the Daily Mirror case.
The trial places hundreds of jobs at Associated Newspapers potentially at risk, according to company statements about the litigation’s financial stakes. Defense lawyers have emphasized the seriousness of allegations that could damage the publisher’s reputation and business operations if proven true.
Baroness Doreen Lawrence and former Liberal Democrat deputy leader Simon Hughes also joined the lawsuit as plaintiffs, expanding the case beyond entertainment figures to include individuals from political and activist backgrounds who claim they suffered privacy violations.
The nine-week trial represents a culmination of years of legal preparation and discovery battles between the parties. Both sides have assembled substantial witness lists and document collections to support their competing narratives about journalistic practices at one of Britain’s most prominent newspaper groups.
